Important Information / Rules
The DREAMCLIMB event registration desk will be located inside the One Riverside Drive building foyer and will be open at 8:00 am. All participants must arrive and be registered at least 30 minutes prior to their start time. * Warm ups to be conducted 10 minutes to start time.
WHAT TO EXPECT ON EVENT DAY
Whether you are a fast climber or a slow climber, you will notice your heart rate will rise dramatically as you climb. For this reason we recommend that all participants perform a cardio warm-up in the vendor area located adjacent to the registration near the starting line to increase their heart rates by 25-30 beats per minute just prior to participating.
Climbers will be sent off two at a time with approximately a 20 second gap between climbers. Running teams will line up together at the start line, with each individual member sent off at 20 second intervals. For runners/climbers, a stair climb is a short duration, high intensity activity.
*Please Note: It is very common to experience a cough in stair climbing events. Most people assume that it is due to poor air quality in the stairwell, or that there is excess dust, but that is not the case. It happens in any air environment, even outside events.
- All competitors that wish to have their number of climbs recorded must have their number/tag attached to their VERTICAL CLIMB t-shirt during the climbing event.
- Competitors will be given a briefing prior to their ascent on the general rules that must be followed in participating in the VERTICAL CLIMB event.
- Upon passing through the starting entrance, competitors may ascend the stairs taking as many steps at a time as they choose.
- Faster participants will pass slower participants on the left hand side of the stairwell.
- Climbers may stop, if needed, but only on landings and must move to the left.
- Do not push, shove or block other climbers.
- Failure to maintain good sportsmanship will not be tolerated.
- Event Staff will help any climber who asks for, or is in obvious need of, their assistance to gain medical attention. The climber will be guided via elevator to the ground floor for medical attention.
- The VERTICAL CLIMB event coordinator and his/her assigned officials shall inspect the climbing area prior to the competition and the start area for compliance.
EVENT PARTICIPANT TIMING
WRACE will be conducting the timing of the event for those individuals participating in the event.
For safety reasons there will be no drinks allowed on the stairwell. Participants can however access water at both the ground floor, 3rd floor and the 13th floor.
Participants will be provided light snacks including bananas, apples and oranges on the ground floor level of the One Riverside Drive West building.
COAT & BAG STORAGE
There will be coat racks provided for all climbers near the washroom area for event participants. Participants are encouraged not to leave anything valuable in their bags or coats as the VERTICAL CLIMB staff will not be responsible for lost or stolen items. We encourage climbers to leave valuables in their vehicles or with family or friends at the event.
HEALTH AND SAFETY
- First aid personnel will be onsite and will be positioned at different locations throughout the stairwell. VERTICAL CLIMB staff will be located on the 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, 11th and rooftop floors, with general first aiders available to be directed to any location in the building.
- If you are not feeling well please consider exiting the stair climb at one of the stairwell exits and proceed to the nearest elevator.
- Should an injury or medical emergency occur (to you or anyone else) please inform one of the VERTICAL CLIMB staff either in the stairwell, the rooftop or the ground level. They will need to know the location and nature of the injury/emergency and they will proceed to assist that individual.
- In the event of a safety or medical emergency, the race will be stopped. Please follow ALL instructions from event staff and emergency services personnel, even if they tell you to stop climbing at any point throughout the event.
- Please make way for emergency services personnel attempting to get to an injured person, as the stairwell is quite narrow and is difficult to access with others in the way.
- Your safety is our greatest concern. If you have been ill or do not feel up to it on the day, put your welfare first and please do not participate in the event. Please err on the side of caution, and consult your doctor if you are unsure if your fitness has been affected by recent or current illness.
Parking is available for free on Sunday, January 21, 2018 at several street level parking sections surrounding the One Riverside Drive West building. The One Riverside Drive West building, Pitt Street parking garage and other garages are available but they do charge a fee.
OTHER INTERESTING FACTS
- The CN tower is 1776 steps, which translates to going up the DREAMCLIMB stairs a total of 7 times.
- The Burj Khalifa building in Dubai (tallest building in the world) is 2909 steps and the equivalent in our event would be climbing up 12 times.