Maintenance Mechanic I (18.624 Permanent Full Time) / (18.688 Temporary Full Time - approx 1 year)
Reporting to the Manager of Facilities or designate this person will operate and maintain equipment such as steam boilers, compressors, chillers, generators, pumps, fans, etc., to provide a suitable environment for patient care and comfort within the Hospital buildings.
- A minimum valid certification of qualification of 4th class issued under the authority of the Operating Engineers Act of the Province of Ontario.
- Up to one month on-the-job training to become familiar with plant layout and specific types of equipment, may be given
- Operates and maintains in accordance with the Operating Engineers Act and Regulations, mechanical equipment such as compressors, chillers, generators, turbines and steam boilers which provide utilities such as light, heat and power for refrigeration, air conditioning and other services to the hospital.
- Completes plant logs and daily routines. Starts, stops, adjust and regulates the equipment. Observes steam flow, meters, carbon dioxide recorders, pressure and draft gauges, and manipulates valves to bring readings within the specified requirements. Removes water samples and performs chemical test to determine water hardness and applies chemicals softeners as needed. Checks equipment while in operation and makes minor repairs, replaces bearings. Is responsible for oiling and greasing moving mechanisms, maintaining proper water condition in boilers, and cleaning boilers and other equipment.
- May replace worn and defective parts on such equipment as kitchen and laundry units, plumbing systems, air conditioning units, office and laboratory equipment, nurse call system, using a variety of hand tools.
- May maintain and repair refrigeration equipment and hot water heaters to insure maximum operating efficiency, adjusting feed valves and pump speeds.
- Performs such electrical and electronic repairs, installation, and adjustment as his training skill and experience permits.
- Checks, repairs, greases all equipment in all mechanical rooms throughout the hospital. Changes and cleans filters as required.
- Cleans all mechanical rooms and powerhouse. Puts stock and tools away to keep work areas neat and tidy.
- Responds to trouble calls from Hospital staff to provide assistance as required.
- Completes Preventive Maintenance to tasks and follows maintenance schedules.
- Assumes the position of Hospital Fire Marshall during the absence of designated person or alternate.
- Other duties as assigned from time to time.
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
We thank all applicants in advance for their interests, however only those under consideration will be contacted.