Windsor Regional Internet Site

About Diabetes Supplies & Equipment

Getting Your Supplies

Your doctor will give you a prescription for the supplies that your child needs. The cost of these are covered by most private drug plans.
If you do not have coverage, the paediatric diabetes social worker can inform you of the following programs.

Trillium Drug Program:
Assistance for medical supplies for managing your diabetes as well as drug cost for your entire family. Ministry of Health and Long Term Care 1-800-267-8097 or 416-642-3038

Ministry of Children and Youth Services:
Click on special needs then disabilities for information on financial support.

Canadian Child Tax Benefit:
Tax free monthly payment to eligible families to help with the cost of raising children under the age of 18.
Phone 1-800-665-0354

The Canadian Diabetes Association has a link for financial support, go to and search Financial Coverage for details.

What you will need:

  • Prescription and specific discharge orders
  • Syringe/pen devices
  • Meter
  • Lancet device
  • Urine ketone testing strips (Ketostix)
  • Alcohol swabs
  • Sharps container
  • Insulin 
  • Pen needles 
  • Test strips
  • Lancets
  • Glucagon Emergency Kit
  • Log book

Disposing of Sharps

DO NOT PUT SYRINGES OR LANCETS IN YOUR REGULAR GARBAGE. Used syringes and lancets must be properly discarded into safe, puncture-proof containers. If you are a regular customer of a Shoppers Drug Mart, the sharps containers are available usually free of charge.